Careless drivers and vehicle defects cause a large number of car accidents every year. Many of these result in serious injuries and wrongful deaths. Our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers know that injuries received in auto crashes can change victims’ lives. Here are some of the many severe injuries accident victims endure:
- limb loss
- brain injuries
- nerve and organ damage
- bone crushes and fractures
Each accident is unique. These cases require specific and complex evidence to establish a driver’s or car maker’s liability. Hiring a car accident lawyer shortly after your accident can be crucial to preserving important evidence. It will also allow the lawyer to file a legal action in time. (State law requires lawyers to file personal injury actions within 2 years from the date of the injury.)
Our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers have extensive experience with the special challenges of car accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to obtain the results you deserve. A Heiligman & Mogul, P.C. lawyer can also protect you from unfair insurance company settlements after your accident. If a car crash resulted in the death of a loved one, we may be able to recover damages for the loss of your family member in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Car Accident Damages
If you sustained injuries in an auto accident, you may be entitled to recover money damages for:
- medical bills
- physical and other therapy
- lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- pain and suffering caused by your injuries
In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded to auto accident victims.
Car Accident Causes
Establishing the cause(s) of an accident can require complex investigations and evidence. These cases generally require the assistance of experts in:
- accident reconstruction
- causation and damages needed in specific accident cases
Our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers rely on these experts in nearly all auto accident cases.
Accidents Caused by Negligent Driving
Negligent driving accounts for thousands of traffic accidents every day in the U.S. The three most common causes of these accidents are distracted driving, driving while under the influence of alcohol, and speeding. The CDC states that:
- Crashes involving distracted driving kill 8 people every year and injure almost 1,200 others. This may include driving while eating, using a cell phone, consulting GPS, or adjusting a radio or CD player.
- Twenty-eight people die every day (one person every 53 minutes) in traffic accidents reported to have involved alcohol-impaired drivers.
- Speeding causes nearly one-third of all traffic accidents.
Other examples of driver neglect that may lead to car accidents include:
- failing to signal for lane changes
- following too closely behind another vehicle
- aggressive driving
- driving while fatigued
- failing to yield to other vehicles
- other traffic law violations
Accidents Caused by Car Defects
Vehicle defects cause many car accidents every year. When this occurs, several defendants may be liable for a victim’s injury or death. These product liability personal injury defendants include the vehicle:
Common examples of car defects that may cause these crashes include defects in:
- gas pedals
- power steering systems
- electrical and computer systems
In some cases, an accident victim may recover compensation for enhanced injuries. These are additional injuries sustained in accidents due to defects in safety features. These may include faulty:
- roof support
- gas tanks
Faulty gas tanks or unsafe tank placement may cause injuries from fuel fed fires. Defective roof supports may lead to enhanced injuries in rollover accidents. (Stability defects often cause roll over accidents, themselves.)
The Do’s and Dont’s When Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Check out our valuable resource with what you should, and shouldn’t do when involved in a car accident.