Our Philadelphia Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawyers represent the Estates of individuals who have died as the result of asbestos related disease or death. Asbestos is a group of minerals used for insulation and fire proofing in a wide variety of industries. This substance can cause serious illnesses. These include:
- asbestos lung cancer
- other cancers and diseases
If a doctor diagnosed you with mesothelioma or another disease following exposure to this toxic substance, our Philadelphia Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawyers can help you obtain the justice you deserve.
Asbestos exposure occurs in many ways. It most often affects:
- Construction workers
- Ship builders
- Auto workers
- Aircraft workers
- Railroad workers
- Asbestos miners
- Workers who remove or demolish floors, walls, ceilings, or insulation that contains asbestos
- People who work in buildings with asbestos wall and pipe insulation
- People who work in buildings with sealants that contain asbestos
- People who work in buildings with floors, walls, and ceilings that contain asbestos
- People who worked with or near asbestos or products made with this substance
- Families of people who work with or near asbestos (the workers often carry the fibers home on their skin, hair, and clothes)
- People who live near industries that use asbestos or products made with this substance
Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause more than one disease in the same person. These diseases can surface years or decades apart. This is true even when the same exposure caused both (or more) diseases. Diseases that can cause life changing effects and death include:
- asbestos lung cancer
- stomach cancer
- colon cancer
- esophageal cancer
- laryngeal cancer
- pleural disease (pleural scarring)
- asbestosis (scarring in lung air sacs)
Mesothelioma is cancer of the mesothelia. These are membranes that surround our internal organs. Asbestos exposure is the only thing that causes this type of cancer. People who contract this deadly disease usually do not show symptoms until decades after their exposure.
There are 3 types of mesothelioma:
- Pleural mesothelioma is cancer of the pleura. This is the membrane that surrounds the lungs. This is the most common form of this type of cancer.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma is cancer of the membrane that surrounds the abdominal organs.
- Pericardial mesothelioma is cancer of the membrane that surrounds the heart. This is the least common form of this type of cancer.